The purpose of recertification is for CAPPA certified professionals to document their professional growth and continuing education. Recertification is required every 3 years. Contact hours for recertification must be relevant to and within the Scope of Practice of your program. Typically, clinical trainings are not eligible to be used as contact hours for recertification. All contact hours obtained at CAPPA Conference and at any CAPPA training (Labor Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Lactation Educator, Teen Educator, Pregnancy Fitness Instructor) or CAPPA approved program (BOND, HUG) are eligible as Contact Hours for recertification. Please allow 2 weeks from date of receipt for processing. If you would like to purchase a rush fee, you can do so in the CAPPA Store here.
If you are past your deadline for recertification, please contact the CAPPA office at email@example.com to inquire about an extension. Please note: extension fees will apply.
Explore CAPPA’s Education Center: your online source for continuing education! Recertifying has never been easier. Dynamic presentations by leading experts in the perinatal field. Create your FREE account today and browse our large catalog of affordable offerings. Each session provides contact hours and a certificate upon completion.
REQUIREMENTS FOR RECERTIFICATION
- Maintain continuous membership in CAPPA.
- Document 15 hours of continuing education in pregnancy, labor, breastfeeding, or postpartum approved by CAPPA.
- Sign and agree to the most current CAPPA Policies included in the recertification forms.
- Read 10 research studies from peer reviewed journals published within the last 5 years.
- Submit $75 recertification fee.
- Postpartum Doula Program Only – Infant/Child CPR certification must be CURRENT. CPR certification MUST be obtained from an in-person class WITH mannequin practice.
Optional Contact Hour Forms
CONTACT HOUR OPPORTUNITIES
Explore CAPPA’s Education Center: your online source for continuing education! Dynamic presentations by leading experts in the perinatal field. Create your FREE account today and browse our large catalog of affordable offerings. Each session provides contact hours and a certificate upon completion.
- CAPPA certified professionals may use any of the following for the continuing education requirement. At least 10 of the 15 required contact hours must be directly relevant to and within the scope of practice of your specific certification, with the exception of CAPPA conferences, or CAPPA approved trainings.
- CAPPA training (must supply certificate of attendance)
- CAPPA annual conference (must supply certificate(s)
- CAPPA’s Education Center
- Community breastfeeding support group meetings. (1 meeting hour = 1 contact hour – can use a maximum of 3)
- B.O.N.D. University
- Highly recommend HUG Your Baby:
- Part I if you haven’t take this before (2 contact hours)
- Part II (must have completed Part I first, 4 contact hours)
- HUG Your Baby Certification (12 contact hours)
- Conference attendance at a perinatal conference sponsored by an internationally recognized and respected organization. (See approved list below.)
- Preparing and presenting at a perinatal conference (national, regional, or state level). Topic must be applicable to the scope of practice of your program. Must supply agenda showing you listed as a speaker, outline of presentation, objectives, and resource list used in preparation. (One hour presentation issues two contact hours.)
CAPPA ACCEPTED CONTACT HOURS
Contact hours/CEU’s must relate to the certification program you are recertifying in, and be of a non-clinical nature. CAPPA accepts contact hours approved by the following:
- L-CERPS, E-CERPS, R-CERPS (IBLCE hours)
- PSI (Postpartum Support International)
- Any state nurses association or board of nursing
- Advanced trainings or conferences held in-person by ICEA, Lamaze, DONA (Please note: continuing education only, not certification training workshops or contact hours by other organizations that may have been approved by ICEA, Lamaze, or DONA.)
*Please note that we do not consider unapproved programs/contact hours or CEU’s that are unrelated to your specific certification.
Organizers of events may apply for CAPPA contact hours: CAPPA CEU Application Form.
ONLINE RESEARCH SOURCES
The Cochrane Collaboration
Ebscohost – login codes are usually provided by most community libraries
ERIC – Education Resources Information Center
University Library – Some universities allow their alumni access to their online library search systems