Ask the Pros
Do you have a question related to your birth business? Our experts Janice Banther and Polly Perez are here to answer all your inquiries*! You can submit your question by filling out the form here, or you can browse past questions by scrolling down.
* Please note that this section is devoted to questions pertaining to running your birth business, such as "How do I network with other doulas in my area?" or "A client had a C-section and wants a refund. What should I do?" If you have a general CAPPA question, please email email@example.com or join the CAPPA Info Yahoo! group, a large network of professionals who seek support and information.
Meet the Pros!
Janice has been helping women during their birth since 1982 and has attended over 500 births. She is a certified childbirth educator, certified labor doula and an approved trained counselor and trainer with RTS Bereavement. She is also a postpartum doula and breastfeeding counselor. Janice is the founder and executive director of For The Love of Birth, Inc. which is a non-profit organization in Tarpon Springs, Florida. She teaches childbirth classes and is a doula for one of the county jails. Her greatest pride and joy is her husband Barry, her two sons, David and John, and her daughter-in-law, Ruth. You can learn more about her by visiting her website, birthingwithlove.com.
Paulina G. (Polly) Perez, R.N., B.S.N., F.A.C.C.E., is an internationally known perinatal nurse and lecturer. She is the author of Special Women: The Role of the Professional Labor Assistant and numerous journal articles.
- How do I find moms who want a doula? I'm just getting certified and don't know where to find them.
- Is there any medical liability that I should be aware of? What about LLCs? What about back-up doulas?
- How do you have a regular life and be a doula on call?
- I am a new doula with a young nursing baby. How do you juggle a nursing baby and doula work?
- I'm a new childbirth educator with a limited budget. How can I get the essentials?
- What are the legal aspects of choosing a business name?
- How do I get my business started? What about rates? Insurance? Should I work alone or in a group?
- What's the best way to get my evaluations filled out?
- Does Medicaid pay for doulas?
- What can I do about childcare?
- What's the most reliable way of getting your information out there?
- I don't have a refund policy. What are some models I can use to create one?
- How do postpartum doulas handle end-of-year taxes for doula work?
- How can my childbirth classes be fun and informative at the same time?
- How much should a doula get paid? What's the total cost of certification? Any course recommendations?
- Due to our family’s situation, I will need to be employed full time. However, I want to continue providing birth support. How can a do both?